Audit Manager | Financial Services | Halifax
19 October 2022
Location: CNS (Halifax, NS)
Job title: Audit Manager
Contact: David White
We have opportunities for Audit Managers to join our office in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to move into or continue their career in the financial services audit industry unlike anywhere else in Canada. Enjoy the perks of working for BDO Cayman’s Halifax office including: Above average base pay, benefits and bonuses, flexible hybrid work opportunities, no travel to or work from client sites, casual office dress code and atmosphere, opportunity to visit or work in our head office in Grand Cayman, and many more!
For hires not physically located in Halifax, NS we may be able to offer a remote onboarding and work arrangement and provide support for eventual relocation.
Working with teams across our Halifax and Grand Cayman offices, the Audit Manager will primarily be responsible for managing a portfolio of clients by supervising, directing, and reviewing the work of staff and senior auditors throughout the planning, field work and completion stages of an audit engagement. Audit Managers will also work with other international BDO offices on cross-border engagements required for Cayman Islands filing purposes. On these engagements you will serve as a liaison with other BDO offices, coordinating the cross-border engagement steps and ensuring audit files meet BDO Cayman’s quality standards. Your portfolio will mainly consist of hedge funds, private equity funds and captive insurance companies.
You will need to display rigorous project and financial management, working within budgets and reporting timetables. You will act as a major point of contact within the firm for the client together with the partner. This includes responding quickly to, as well as anticipating, client requests/needs, keeping clients informed of progress in relation to all aspects of the service provided and maintaining regular contact with clients.
As an Audit Manager, you will have regular contact with all members of the audit team and be charged with guiding, supporting, and developing more staff and seniors on your engagements. Effective communication and leadership skills are imperative to develop strong working relationships with the members of your team.
Technical responsibilities of the Audit Manager will include advising your clients on various economic and regulatory matters affecting their financial reporting, resolving complex accounting issues, apply applicable financial reporting and auditing standards consistently within complex situations, writing technical memos on financial reporting and auditing issues, and documenting, validating, testing, and assessing various financial reporting control systems.
Other responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that the firm’s risk management and quality control procedures are always adhered to.
Support partners and senior managers in the development of new business relationships and business proposals through high level sales and marketing activity.
Recruit, retain, develop and motivate our employees, which includes participating in recruitment, ensuring job appraisal documentation is completed within deadlines and ensuring appropriate objectives and development plans are in place for counselees.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or equivalent required
- Five (5) or more years of immediate recent external auditing experience required
- Two (2) or more years of experience auditing Cayman Islands investment funds or other jurisdiction hedge funds and PE funds strongly preferred.
- Prior significant supervisory or management experience
- CPA or other international accounting designation required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Prior experience with various assurance applications and research tools beneficial
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of internal accounting controls and professional standards and regulations (GAAP, GAAS, IFRS, ISA, etc).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt style and messaging to effectively communicate with professionals at all levels both within the client organization and the firm
- Excellent people development and delegation skills, including training/instruction and ability to provide timely and relevant feedback
- Must possess executive presence to be a primary contact for the client and to prepare and present presentations to clients and potential clients
- Superior analytical and diagnostic skills and ability to break down complex issues and implement appropriate resolutions
- Capable of working in a demanding, deadline driven environment with a focus on details and accuracy
- Solid time and project management skills, allowing you to stay organized and prioritize tasks with competing deadlines and demands
1) Send your resume or CV to [email protected] with the subject line "Audit Manager | Financial Services | Halifax"
2) Complete the below candidate questionnaire