Audit Senior | Financial Services | Halifax
21 April 2023
Location: CNS (Halifax, NS)
Job title: Audit Senior
Contact: David White
We have opportunities for Audit Seniors to join our office in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to move into the financial services industry and gain audit experience unlike anywhere else in Canada. Enjoy the perks of working for BDO Cayman’s Halifax office, including: Above average base pay, benefits and bonuses, flexible hybrid work opportunities, no travel to or work from client sites, casual office dress code and atmosphere, opportunity to visit or work in our head office in Grand Cayman, and many more!
For hires not physically located in Halifax, NS we may be able to offer a remote onboarding and work arrangement and provide support for eventual relocation.
Working with teams across our Halifax and Grand Cayman Office, the Audit Senior will be responsible for the day-to-day “in-charge” duties of planning, executing and finalizing external financial statement audit engagements of mainly hedge funds, private equity funds and captive insurance companies. This will include performing and documenting various audit procedures, reviewing financial statements with disclosures and applying most areas of the relevant financial reporting standards. The Audit Senior may also be involved in reviews and agreed-upon procedure engagements as well as other non-assurance engagements as the need arises.
Whilst working on these engagements you will mentor and train junior staff and work directly with the audit managers who will support and guide you. As an Audit Senior, you will have day-to-day contact with all members of the audit team and the client. It is imperative that you develop strong working relationships with the members of your team and your clients.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or equivalent required
- Two (2) or more years of immediate recent external auditing experience required
- One (1) or more years of prior supervisory experience preferred
- Recent experience auditing companies in the asset management (hedge funds, PE funds) or insurance industry preferred
- CPA or other international accounting designation preferred
- Actively pursuing completion of CPA or other internationally recognized accounting designation required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Prior experience with various assurance applications and research tools beneficial
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Solid understanding and experience planning and coordinating the stages to perform a financial statement audit
- Knowledge of internal accounting controls and professional standards and regulations (GAAP, GAAS, IFRS, ISA, etc).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt style and messaging to effectively communicate with professionals at all levels both within the client organization and the firm
- Ability to work independently and within a group environment, to understand instructions and perform tasks assigned and also the ability to delegate tasks and clearly explain how to achieve objectives
- Superior analytical and diagnostic skills and ability to break down complex issues and implement appropriate resolutions
- Capable of working in a demanding, deadline driven environment with a focus on details and accuracy
- Solid time and project management skills, allowing you to stay organized and prioritize tasks based on deadlines and feedback from your managers
1) Send your resume or CV to [email protected] with the subject line "Audit Senior | Financial Services | Halifax"
2) Complete the below candidate questionnaire